• REITs are typically designed to generate fees for the manager, while Origin is in the business of generating investment returns for both us and our investment partners.
• Our Funds operate through an LLC structure, which means that all tax benefits (such as depreciation and interest expense) pass through to investors. In a REIT structure, the tax benefits are captured at the REIT-level and any income paid out is taxed at the ordinary income rate.
• Private REITs typically pay substantial fees to advisors to ‘sell’ their product. We don’t pay a middle man to ‘sell’ our investments, which means lower fees for the investor and more dollars invested into properties.
• REITs take investor money upfront, even though they may not have properties to invest the capital. This creates pressure to invest money, which they either invest in cash or public securities. They can also pay investors a dividend with their own equity if they don’t have ample cash flow. Origin operates under a called capital structure, which means that we ask for capital only after we’ve found a property. Capital is returned to our investors after a property sale or refinance or from operating cash flow.
• REITs derive the majority of their fees through transactions, while ours come after the investor makes money.
• Origin’s principals invest significantly in our own deals, whereas very few Private REIT managers invest significant capital into their vehicles.
• We provide quarterly updates on our investments and provide full transparency into our investments and process. A Private REIT is not obligated to provide investors with similar transparency.
• Earn an individual income of more than $200,000 per year, or a joint spousal income of more than $300,000 per year, in each of the last two years and expect to reasonably maintain the same level of income;
• Have a net worth exceeding $1 million, either individually or jointly with his or her spouse (excluding the primary residence);
• Be a bank, insurance company, registered investment company, business development company, or small business investment company;
• Be a general partner, executive officer, director or a related combination thereof for the issuer of a security being offered;
• Be a business in which all the equity owners are accredited investors. Be an employee benefit plan, a trust, charitable organization, partnership, or company with total assets in excess of $5 million.
WHO should sign up?
We welcome everyone into Origin’s investor portal, but can only accept investments from accredited investors.
WHAT do you get when you sign up?
Review details about Origin’s current and past offerings. If you invest, gain access to our proprietary online portfolio tools and receive real time status updates.
WHY should you sign up?
Receive emails about new investment opportunities, plus our Origin Insights newsletter that provides educational content about private real estate investing.